Me Before You | Film Review

10:14


So I finally went to see the most talked about movie of the moment yesterday, Me Before You. A friend invited me to see the film and I was so excited because the trailer looked amazing and the interviews with the cast really made it seem like it was the film of the year.

I haven't yet read the book, so I didn't know what all the controversy was about at first, but now that I've seen the film I completely understand. It's a sensitive topic which I'm not going to get into at the moment, but I can say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that completely, even if I don't agree with them myself.

Anyway, back to the review. For those of you who have neither read the book or seen the film, it's the story of Louisa Clark (played by Emilia Clarke, aka the mother of dragons in Game of Thrones) a clumsy yet colourful character who lands the job of Will Traynor's carer (played by Sam Claflin), a once successful banker who now lives with his parents in a castle after a motorcycle accident left him paralysed for life. The meeting of these two characters is awkward and tense at first, Will coming off as a snob and Lou as a happy-go-lucky soul who doesn't know how to cheer him up. The relationship and chemistry between the two characters is so tangible that it is well perceived on screen and we are immediately attached to the characters and believe their journey.

There are various funny and witty moments throughout the film, which are enjoyable to watch along with the quirky facial expressions Lou makes throughout the film. Lou's character is truly my favourite, she is the sweetest and kindest person in the story and it makes me wish there were more people like her in the world. Her cuteness makes you 'aw' along with her flamboyant sense of style which reminds me of Ugly Betty's wardrobe once upon a time. Lou's boyfriend Patrick (played by Mathew Lewis, aka Neville Longbottom) is a fitness fanatic who wants nothing more than to run all day. He is not the focus in the story, but he does add a slight bit of tension to the love triangle developing which is entertaining to watch.

I will definitely not try to spoil anything from the story, as I really want you guys to experience it for yourselves. But one thing I will say is that it has now become one of my favourite movies and that you will need at least 5 packs of tissues when you go and see the film, because you will cry a river. At least, my friend and I did... as well as the entire cinema.

The turning point in the story hits you like big yellow school bus as it's so shocking and of course controversial that you really hope things will change by the end of the movie. You get so attached to the characters, that I am still thinking about them now, as they are so unique and wonderfully complex that I wish they were real people. You leave the cinema feeling sad, but really valuing life and wanting to do the most of it as you never know what circumstances you can run into which could turn your whole life upside down. It's inspired me to write more things on my bucket list and to actually try and tick some of them off.

But be warned, this isn't a feel-good movie and it will feel as though your heart's been ripped from your chest, but it is so worth watching.

Now, I'm off to read the book.

I'd love to know if any of you have already gone to see the film and what your thoughts were on it?

Until next time! xo

[100happydays, Day 9]

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I totally think I am going to read the book before I see the movie!! Thanks for warning me about crying! I will make sure to pack a million tissues haha!

    Elisabeth
    http://www.everythingandnothin.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! It went weird, I'll try again!!

      Oh this just sounds so good! I haven't read the book yet either but I think I might have to do that first... but I do love Emilia Clarke... tricky decisions!

      Fab review, and THANK YOU for not being spoiler-heavy :)

      Rebecca xx
      - www.thestyleshake.com -

      Delete
  3. I want go to the cinema on this film, when It will be in our country :) I am so excited !
    NEW POST : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of intrigued to see because I've heard a lot of both good and bad things about it, it's definitely caused a stir and I do love films that create conversation! Fab review lovely xx
    www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanna see this movie! Thank you for posting about it! :) x
    Helena - Swedish girl in Tokyo
    http://www.ilenczfalva.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/helena_de_ilenczfalva/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for recommending this and for not giving any spoilers.
    I am so excited to see it now .

    Loving your blog xx

    https://anasdomain.net/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY want to watch this film! I have been meaning to for ages. I'm actually going to head to the cinema this weekend to watch it, the trailer looked amazing.
    Vanisha xo
    www.thelifeofvanisha.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with everything you've said about the film! I loved the main character & grew to really like her! I held out for sooooo long with the tears but by the end I wanted to cry for hours. Really well-written review. Thanks for sharing :) xx
    Katie | http://kaleidoscopepeonies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie. I know, Lou is adorable! Really want to go see it again haha xo

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed watching this film, even though it's definitely not a feel good film where you walk out of the cinema feeling great about life, haha. I think both the lead actors did an amazing job though, I love Emilia Clarke! :)

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts